Teen Challenges

Teens face many challenges in their lives. Those challenges include grades, sleep, social life, bullying and stress.  Sleep is a key factor because it can affect what grades they make and how much energy they have. Sleep deprivation can result in students not being able to learn and grow. Getting the right amount of sleep can strengthen their nascent minds. “Last week, the American Academy of Pediatrics called on schools to start later so students can get more sleep. The group, made up of doctors who treat children and young adults, called students’ lack of sleep “a national public health crisis.” The idea of schools starting later could help get teens the 8+ hours of sleep that they need. Doctors at the American Academy of Pediatrics are calling the lack of sleep  “a national public health crisis.” The statement should hopefully engender change for the well being of students worldwide. Stress has also been a factor in day-to-day challenges that teenagers face. It could be mental stress or emotional stress. “What’s behind the increase in mental illness is uncertain. Theories include economic hardship, dysfunctional families, absent and preoccupied parents, also obsession with technology, social media like Facebook, and the extraordinary pressure on kids to excel.” Many kids are pressured by their parents to get outstanding grades so they can get into the top colleges; balancing school and a social life can be very stressful for a teen.

“Students may need more sleep, but school administrators say there are many reasons changing school start times is difficult, from bus schedules to parents’ commutes.” The change in bus schedules and parents’ commutes can possibly have a positive affect for the students but a negative affect for their parents. This change could also affect after school activities like sports, which contribute to a students mental well-being and success. “Data from the National Institute of Mental Health indicate that teen mental illness was stable for a decade through the early 2000’s, according to the latest numbers available. Those surveys show that 25 percent of teens have suffered anxiety at some time in their lives…But mental health professionals and educators say those figures are not in line with what they observe today.” Students in the early 2000’s are said to not have as much stress as students have nowadays. Students are pressured by their parents to be the best in their class which can cause stress.

I can relate to having sleep deprivation and mental stress. On average I get from 6.5 to 7.5 hours of sleep on weeknights, and I usually get more than 8 on the weekends. In my opinion I would consider having school at least an hour later because it feels better getting up at 8 instead of 6 or 7 in the morning. Even though the schedule change can have some negative affects, it is about the students reaching their full potential. In some situation’s I do feel stress, and my parents sometimes believe that the thought of a teenager having stress is fictive. I am constantly pressured to maintain good grades and for some students it’s innate for them to balance school and their social life. At times my mind is turbid from consuming too much information, and the key for me is to listen to music. My parents think I’m intransigent when I decide to listen to music instead of doing work, and I tell them I listen to music to help with sleep deprivation or stress. I encourage students to find a way to resuscitate and reengage in class, whether its eating candy or getting Starbucks coffee in the mornings.

Video:

Stress in America survey says teens feel more pressure than adults

Teens and Sleep

Citations:

https://newsela.com/articles/anxiety-teens/id/2771/ –

Mental stresses rise among students, educators say”

https://newsela.com/articles/sleepy-students/id/5124/  – 

“It’s back to class, and less sleep, for many high schoolers”